Read, view, and be merry... for tomorrow we'll die.

Sunday, May 01, 2005

The End of an Era

Reflections on my first year at Appalachian State University:

Dorm Life

I have lived in East hall for the past two semesters... I would love to say that I have made loads of friends on the hall, and had some great experiences, but for the most part - untrue. This hall is hell on earth... no seriously... I will let the pictures explain...

Campus Life

I truly can't complain about this awesome campus. Every Monday night - Jazz in Crossroads (campus coffee shop); every Tuesday night - Local Bands in Crossroads; every Wednesday night - Open Mic Night in Crossroads. The university just finished the new Solarium... waterfalls and live trees included. New "Barnes & Noble-esque" book store... Student Union completely wireless (as well as most dorms, Library, and most of the rest of campus). Pretty kick ass studio in the recording program. Pretty damn good scenery. The smoothies in Cascades (cafe in Student Union) are arguably better than a lot of good drugs used at the same time... I.G. Greer movies for 1 dollar every Thursday, Friday and Saturday. LEGENDS - bringing regional and national groups to a campus stage usually two or three times a month. Just a bunch of good shit... very happy to be a part of all of the cool happenings.

Academia

I am not going to lie to you all... this year hasn't been great. I hope to salvage a 3.4 which I suppose is good, but I know I can do better. My laziness got the best of me in this second semester. I am trying to turn all of that around in this final stretch of exams. Aside from my own laziness, I have had a great experience here on campus. All of my professors have been at the least - helpful, at the most - Mr. Tyer with out the sometimes spitting on people. I am compelled to tell the story of one professor - Sociology - Dr. Keeter. What a crazy ass guy. Every day he would come in with a shirt and tie on (shirt untucked) and a pair of those combo pants (unzip the legs to get shorts)... The tag was always on the tie, and somedays he would wear a hat. He looked strange enough, but man he could teach with the best of them. Another - World Civ II - Mr. Hill. A fairly small guy... Would get off on 20 minute tangents about his dogs chasing squirrels on his land, or about his wife being financially independent so he can't tell her to wash the dishes or clean the house... always capable to make me smile, and truly excited about history. A funny observation: Chapel Hill Professors - Harvard, Yale, Cambridge, Oxford, Columbia. Appalachian State Professors - Chapel Hill (acception Keeter - Harvard, Columbia)... another interesting parallel: AGHS teachers - ECU

Looking Ahead

Next year will be somewhat different I suppose - I am getting an apartment. Big Change. Roommates: Blake Arrowood, Kyle Beach, Bryan Ford - where are you? Phat location - or should I say "fat." Bojangles - 100 yds in front of us. Taco Bell - across the street. Japanese restaurant - in the mall that we share a parking lot with. Golden Corral - a pretty long ass ways a way... but I will have the car next year so it counts... Hopefully things will be conducive to learning in this new area. I feel confident I can hold back my primal urge to sleep through alarms and such.

In the immediate future is Summer... and I can't wait. If you are from app I will see you in the next school year... if you are a g-ton, a-town, g-vegas, f-bomb?, wintwizzy? native... can't wait to partay. peace and love to all.

Love,

Ryan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home